Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Not dealing well with stupid diabetes

I've renamed gestational diabetes, "stupid diabetes" - because it's the stupidest thing ever in so many ways.

I had the "blah blah blah" 2 hour diabetes seminar yesterday with two other unfortunate women. The diabetes ladies who run the clinic were very nice and it's not their fault that the clinic was stupid. It goes without saying that stupid diabetes would have a stupid clinic.

So I'm supposed to have blood glucose levels under 120 two hours after a meal. Normal people are allowed to have levels at 140. Last night I did my second finger prick test and I was so excited because I was sure I had done a really good job controlling my sugar/ carb intake. My blood sugar was at 119 - which did not make me a happy camper. That's just one measly point away from the "red flag" number. If I go above 120 two times, I have to call my doctor. Last night I was in tears thinking that I'd be put on insulin shots today. I just KNEW it was all going to go very bad, very quickly.

Until I got up this morning with a subversive plan.

I tested after getting out of bed. I was at 91. Not great but not horrid. My limit for morning (fasting) blood sugar levels is 95. After breakfast my mom left the house with Mr Cubby. (I can only write this because I know my mom and husband do not read my blog and therefore will not find out - Right friends?!!!) I pulled out the vacuum cleaner, replaced the broken belt, and vacuumed for 5 minutes tops. There was uncooked rice on the playroom floor (don't ask why) and it had been there for three days. My lovely burgundy and black dining room rug had become a shag, russet colored rug of pet hair. So I just cleaned up a bit. JUST A BIT, people. And guess what? My blood test 2 hours after breakfast was 89.

Just as I had suspected.

So here is the circular problem. Bed rest can lead to GD. It obviously did for me since my vacuum exercise test was very scientific. Both activity and GD can lead to pre-term birth. But activity can remedy GD where diet alone often fails. So the question is, just how much more dangerous would a 10 minute walk be to the babies as opposed to sky-rocketing blood sugar levels? Myself, I prefer the 10 minute walk to insulin shots. I promise that I will talk to my doctors about this tomorrow - please don't assume I'm going to continue to sneak around and exercise without permission. My activity scheme does seem to be effective - even if it's just 5 minutes of walking around. Tonight I walked several hundred feet to the stop sign by our house and back and got a reading of 113.

On a fun note, I was super depressed about having GD last night and John promised me lots of presents if I hang in there and a) don't have the babies early and b) keep up with my diet and blood testing. So it's not all bad. :)

1 comment:

Maura said...

Yes, PLEASE keep that promise and talk to your doctor. Update, my nephew, Harry Kearns was born yesterday at 12:16AM. Mom and baby are healthy and happy.